Spanning over 41 square miles, South Brunswick Township is located in central New Jersey and home to almost 50,000 residents. South Brunswick is composed of five main communities: Dayton, Deans, Kendall Park, Monmouth Junction and Kingston. Home to picturesque parks, an esteemed school district and thriving businesses, South Brunswick Township provides countless opportunities for families and businesses. We have 22 developed parks and trail systems for residents to enjoy. South Brunswick has received many awards; our South Brunswick Police department was the first police department in New Jersey to be dually certified - achieving prestigious state and national accreditation. In 2011, CNN Money ranked South Brunswick as the 22nd Best Place to Live in America and in 2016 Safewise ranked South Brunswick as the 10th Safest City in America to Raise a Child. Our National Night Out event was ranked 5th nationally by the National Association of Town Watch and our public schools were recognized as 14th best in the state. South Brunswick hosts portions of the NJ Turnpike, Route 27, Route 130 and Route 1. We are located halfway between New York City & Philadelphia and Boston & Washington D.C. Access to New York City is easily accessible with the Park and Ride - located at the intersection of Route 32 and Route 130 - which provides bussing to and from New York City Port Authority, Grand Central, Manhattan's East Side, Downtown Manhattan and Wall Street. South Brunswick is a modern and diverse suburban community which lives up to its slogan "Crossroads of Progress."
South Brunswick is a township in Middlesex County, New Jersey, United States. The township is centrally located within the Raritan Valley region and is an outer-ring suburb of New York City in the New York metropolitan area. Get Census Info.
South Brunswick Township was incorporated by an act of the State Legislature in 1798. The 18th century character of South Brunswick was that of a rural agricultural township with small clustered settlements located on major transportation routes. The early settlers took advantage of fertile soils and favorable growing conditions.
The rural nature of the Township continued throughout the 19th century, with increases in commercial and residential growth and development coinciding with the introduction of new transportation routes. The Straight Turnpike, now Route 1, was constructed in 1804.
In 1872, the Legislature first reduced the size of South Brunswick with the creation of the separate Township of Cranbury from the southern portion of South Brunswick. In 1885, it redefined and enlarged the boundaries of Cranbury, and in 1919, the size of South Brunswick was further reduced with the formation of Plainsboro Township. The present boundaries of South Brunswick date back to this last change.
Kingston's location on the Lenape Assunpink Trail where it crossed the Millstone River was the prime factor in its early prominence. Kingston was by far the most active and important village, being situated on both the heavily traveled King's Road and Milestone River, combining commercial activities of both mills and taverns.
Dayton was first known simply as The Cross Roads, where James Whitlock built a tavern on Georges Road around 1750. Early enterprises included a brick manufacturer and large nursery. In 1866, the name was changed from Cross Roads to Dayton, in honor of William L. Dayton, an attorney for the Freehold and Jamesburg Agricultural Railroad. Dayton had helped settle disputes arising from the location of a railroad right-of-way. He was later a U.S. Senator, Vice Presidential nominee, and Minister to France. The nature of its business establishments - farm implements, tow hay dealers, a general store, a nursery and a harness maker, attests to its agricultural identity.
Deans originated from its location on both Crosswicknung Trail (Georges Road) and Lawrence Brook. Dams were built on the brook, creating Deans Pond.
Monmouth Junction was created as the junction of three rail branches, the New York division of Pennsylvania Railroad, the Rocky Hill and the Jamesburg and Freehold.
Twentieth century South Brunswick has seen extensive transformation with the impact of American industrial technology. The New Brunswick and Trenton Fast Line began operation in 1900, a trolley line running parallel to the Old Straight Turnpike of 1804 (Route 1), intersecting George's Road just north of the Five Corners intersection in Dayton. This trolley provided daily passenger and freight service, stopping at a local crossroads. The New Jersey Turnpike opened in 1951, again roughly parallel to Route 1, on the eastern edge of the Township. One typical effect of the Turnpike was the transformation of the agricultural area on the southeast corner of South Brunswick to that of a burgeoning industrial development.
With increased mobility and a growing population, the suburban style residential development was born after the Second World War and Kendall Park was begun in the 1950's. Kendall Park is located right off Route 27, the old Indian trail and major thoroughfare of earlier centuries.
In 1980, the Township population approached 18,000. In 1990, this figure reached 25,792 and today South Brunswick has over 33,400 residents. In short, since the early 1900's, the town has matured from a tranquil and rustic farming community to a vibrant, diverse and active suburban town. While South Brunswick has been growing rapidly, much of the town's 42 square miles remain undeveloped and there are still significant amounts of wetlands, woodlands and open space within the community.
Industry and commerce are well developed in the area. There are several warehousing and distribution centers along the NJ Turnpike corridor and other large companies have research facilities and office complexes within town.
Retail centers are located along Routes 1, 27 and 130, as well as within the various township villages. South Brunswick also benefits from being located along the Route 1 corridor between Princeton and New Brunswick, which has become a hot spot for high tech companies. The 1999 unemployment rate was 2.6%.
South Brunswick is served by Exit 8A of the New Jersey Turnpike and State Routes 1, 27 and 130. Route 522, The main east-west artery through town, is now open from Route 27 to Route 130.
Amtrak's Northeast Corridor line traverses the community and train stations are located in nearby New Brunswick and Princeton Junction. Bus service is available on Route 27.
Finally, airports within 90 minutes travel include Mercer County, Philadelphia, Newark International, LaGuardia and Kennedy International.
Local doctors, dentists and professional health services are located throughout town. Area hospitals include:
Emergency services are provided by the Monmouth Junction, Kendall Park and Kingston Volunteer First Aid Squads and Fire Departments. Call 911 if you have an emergency.
Recreation And The Arts
There are over 2,000 acres of municipal, county and state park land within South Brunswick and the town has committed to pursuing the purchase of additional open space lands to maintain the quality of life within the community. Facilities include a Community Center located at Woodlot Park on New Road and Senior Center located next to the Municipal Building on Rt. 522. Movie theaters are located nearby and art centers are located in Princeton and New Brunswick.
The Township Recreation and Community Affairs Department along with organizations such as PAL and the South Brunswick Athletic Association offer a wide range of services and programs to residents. For more information please call 732-329-4000 x7681.
Non Profit And Religious Organizations
South Brunswick is home to many different and diverse houses of worship and philanthropic organizations. If you are interested in joining a community group, you may call 732-329-4000 x7681 for contact information.
Copyright © 2022 Vote for Your Neighbors 2022 - All Rights Reserved.
PO BOX 55 . MOnmouth Jct., NJ 08852
PAID FOR BY: SBRMC
PO BOX 55 . MONMOUTH JCT., NJ 08852